Using electric vehicle fleet as responsive demand for power system frequency support

Sikai Huang, Lei Wu, David Infield, Tianshu Zhang

Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceedingConference contribution book

6 Citations (Scopus)
134 Downloads (Pure)

Abstract

Based on conventional car driving patterns, it has been recognized that typically a car remains stationary for 95% of the time, only being driven on the road for the remaining 5% of that time on average. This gives the system operator opportunities to utilize future EV charging as system reserve demand in order to provide system control, such as frequency response. In this paper, a next generation power system with high penetration of renewables represents the future power grid in Great Britain. Three charging schemes for EVs are presented in order to illustrate their potential as responsive demand for power system control. A case study was undertaken for the year 2020. System frequency stability tests have been performed with shedding EV fleet charging.
Original languageEnglish
Title of host publicationVehicle Power and Propulsion Conference (VPPC), 2013 IEEE
Place of PublicationPiscataway, N.J.
PublisherIEEE
Number of pages5
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - Nov 2013

Fingerprint

Electric vehicles
Railroad cars
Control systems
Frequency stability
System stability
Frequency response
Power generation

Keywords

  • electric vehicles (EVs)
  • vehicle to grid
  • demand response
  • load shaping
  • frequency stability

Cite this

Huang, S., Wu, L., Infield, D., & Zhang, T. (2013). Using electric vehicle fleet as responsive demand for power system frequency support. In Vehicle Power and Propulsion Conference (VPPC), 2013 IEEE Piscataway, N.J.: IEEE. https://doi.org/10.1109/VPPC.2013.6671725
Huang, Sikai ; Wu, Lei ; Infield, David ; Zhang, Tianshu. / Using electric vehicle fleet as responsive demand for power system frequency support. Vehicle Power and Propulsion Conference (VPPC), 2013 IEEE . Piscataway, N.J. : IEEE, 2013.
@inproceedings{7bcf21ca6ce44f6eb6ffb3691acf6ec7,
title = "Using electric vehicle fleet as responsive demand for power system frequency support",
abstract = "Based on conventional car driving patterns, it has been recognized that typically a car remains stationary for 95{\%} of the time, only being driven on the road for the remaining 5{\%} of that time on average. This gives the system operator opportunities to utilize future EV charging as system reserve demand in order to provide system control, such as frequency response. In this paper, a next generation power system with high penetration of renewables represents the future power grid in Great Britain. Three charging schemes for EVs are presented in order to illustrate their potential as responsive demand for power system control. A case study was undertaken for the year 2020. System frequency stability tests have been performed with shedding EV fleet charging.",
keywords = "electric vehicles (EVs), vehicle to grid, demand response, load shaping, frequency stability",
author = "Sikai Huang and Lei Wu and David Infield and Tianshu Zhang",
year = "2013",
month = "11",
doi = "10.1109/VPPC.2013.6671725",
language = "English",
booktitle = "Vehicle Power and Propulsion Conference (VPPC), 2013 IEEE",
publisher = "IEEE",

}

Huang, S, Wu, L, Infield, D & Zhang, T 2013, Using electric vehicle fleet as responsive demand for power system frequency support. in Vehicle Power and Propulsion Conference (VPPC), 2013 IEEE . IEEE, Piscataway, N.J. https://doi.org/10.1109/VPPC.2013.6671725

Using electric vehicle fleet as responsive demand for power system frequency support. / Huang, Sikai; Wu, Lei; Infield, David; Zhang, Tianshu.

Vehicle Power and Propulsion Conference (VPPC), 2013 IEEE . Piscataway, N.J. : IEEE, 2013.

Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceedingConference contribution book

TY - GEN

T1 - Using electric vehicle fleet as responsive demand for power system frequency support

AU - Huang, Sikai

AU - Wu, Lei

AU - Infield, David

AU - Zhang, Tianshu

PY - 2013/11

Y1 - 2013/11

N2 - Based on conventional car driving patterns, it has been recognized that typically a car remains stationary for 95% of the time, only being driven on the road for the remaining 5% of that time on average. This gives the system operator opportunities to utilize future EV charging as system reserve demand in order to provide system control, such as frequency response. In this paper, a next generation power system with high penetration of renewables represents the future power grid in Great Britain. Three charging schemes for EVs are presented in order to illustrate their potential as responsive demand for power system control. A case study was undertaken for the year 2020. System frequency stability tests have been performed with shedding EV fleet charging.

AB - Based on conventional car driving patterns, it has been recognized that typically a car remains stationary for 95% of the time, only being driven on the road for the remaining 5% of that time on average. This gives the system operator opportunities to utilize future EV charging as system reserve demand in order to provide system control, such as frequency response. In this paper, a next generation power system with high penetration of renewables represents the future power grid in Great Britain. Three charging schemes for EVs are presented in order to illustrate their potential as responsive demand for power system control. A case study was undertaken for the year 2020. System frequency stability tests have been performed with shedding EV fleet charging.

KW - electric vehicles (EVs)

KW - vehicle to grid

KW - demand response

KW - load shaping

KW - frequency stability

UR - http://www.vppc.org/

U2 - 10.1109/VPPC.2013.6671725

DO - 10.1109/VPPC.2013.6671725

M3 - Conference contribution book

BT - Vehicle Power and Propulsion Conference (VPPC), 2013 IEEE

PB - IEEE

CY - Piscataway, N.J.

ER -

Huang S, Wu L, Infield D, Zhang T. Using electric vehicle fleet as responsive demand for power system frequency support. In Vehicle Power and Propulsion Conference (VPPC), 2013 IEEE . Piscataway, N.J.: IEEE. 2013 https://doi.org/10.1109/VPPC.2013.6671725