Polarisation independent strained bulk RSOAs have been fabricated in the S-band for the first time. In system tests at 1.25 Gbit/s, the devices have been shown to operate over >60 nm with large return Path Loss Capabilities (PLC). The devices are capable of providing >25 dB PLC over a 60 nm span and hence the combination of two RSOAs provides PLC of >25 dB over a wavelength interval of >120 nm (1470 nm to 1590 nm). The temperature performance of the C/L band device has also been studied and a PLC of >20 dB has been shown at 60°C.
- light reflection
- optical communication equipment
- semiconductor optical amplifiers
- large return path loss capability
- polarisation independent reflective semiconductor optical amplifiers
- Reflective semiconductor optical amplifier
- passive optical networks