Health for the hard to reach: self-management of breastfeeding

Laura Rooney

Research output: Other contribution

Abstract

The World Health Organization states that new-borns should be breast fed for 6 months after birth and women are advised by the NHS: ‘The longer you breastfeed, the longer the protection lasts and the greater the benefits However, despite many efforts to inform new mothers of the benefits to both themselves and their child, breastfeeding rates have continued to decline since the 1960s. After World War II, it was seen as modern and desirable to feed babies on formula. A study by the Lancet showed that only 34% of mothers breastfeed in the UK for the full 6-month period that is recommended. However, it is interesting that 81% of mothers breastfeed for the first 6 weeks and then move onto formula. This is promising to know that breastfeeding is happening albeit for a much shorter time than is recommended. However, it is imperative to find a way to reach the remaining 19% who never breastfeed.
LanguageEnglish
Number of pages3
Place of PublicationGlasgow
Publication statusPublished - 1 Jul 2016

Fingerprint

Self Care
Breast Feeding
Mothers
Health
health
management
Infant Formula
World War II
WHO
baby
Breast
Parturition

Keywords

  • self management
  • breastfeeding
  • digital health solutions

Cite this

@misc{275c15564b9c4baf99158961047de392,
title = "Health for the hard to reach: self-management of breastfeeding",
abstract = "The World Health Organization states that new-borns should be breast fed for 6 months after birth and women are advised by the NHS: ‘The longer you breastfeed, the longer the protection lasts and the greater the benefits However, despite many efforts to inform new mothers of the benefits to both themselves and their child, breastfeeding rates have continued to decline since the 1960s. After World War II, it was seen as modern and desirable to feed babies on formula. A study by the Lancet showed that only 34{\%} of mothers breastfeed in the UK for the full 6-month period that is recommended. However, it is interesting that 81{\%} of mothers breastfeed for the first 6 weeks and then move onto formula. This is promising to know that breastfeeding is happening albeit for a much shorter time than is recommended. However, it is imperative to find a way to reach the remaining 19{\%} who never breastfeed.",
keywords = "self management, breastfeeding, digital health solutions",
author = "Laura Rooney",
year = "2016",
month = "7",
day = "1",
language = "English",
type = "Other",

}

Health for the hard to reach : self-management of breastfeeding. / Rooney, Laura.

3 p. Glasgow. 2016, .

Research output: Other contribution

TY - GEN

T1 - Health for the hard to reach

T2 - self-management of breastfeeding

AU - Rooney, Laura

PY - 2016/7/1

Y1 - 2016/7/1

N2 - The World Health Organization states that new-borns should be breast fed for 6 months after birth and women are advised by the NHS: ‘The longer you breastfeed, the longer the protection lasts and the greater the benefits However, despite many efforts to inform new mothers of the benefits to both themselves and their child, breastfeeding rates have continued to decline since the 1960s. After World War II, it was seen as modern and desirable to feed babies on formula. A study by the Lancet showed that only 34% of mothers breastfeed in the UK for the full 6-month period that is recommended. However, it is interesting that 81% of mothers breastfeed for the first 6 weeks and then move onto formula. This is promising to know that breastfeeding is happening albeit for a much shorter time than is recommended. However, it is imperative to find a way to reach the remaining 19% who never breastfeed.

AB - The World Health Organization states that new-borns should be breast fed for 6 months after birth and women are advised by the NHS: ‘The longer you breastfeed, the longer the protection lasts and the greater the benefits However, despite many efforts to inform new mothers of the benefits to both themselves and their child, breastfeeding rates have continued to decline since the 1960s. After World War II, it was seen as modern and desirable to feed babies on formula. A study by the Lancet showed that only 34% of mothers breastfeed in the UK for the full 6-month period that is recommended. However, it is interesting that 81% of mothers breastfeed for the first 6 weeks and then move onto formula. This is promising to know that breastfeeding is happening albeit for a much shorter time than is recommended. However, it is imperative to find a way to reach the remaining 19% who never breastfeed.

KW - self management

KW - breastfeeding

KW - digital health solutions

UR - https://dhi-scotland.com/

M3 - Other contribution

CY - Glasgow

ER -