Projects per year
Yevgen Gorash is Research Fellow in the Weir Advanced Research Centre (WARC) - research group which works on a range of collaborative projects with Weir Group, a leading manufacturer of equipment for mining, oil and gas and power industries.
His area of expertise and responsibly includes FE-analysis of structural integrity using advanced approaches within non-linear Mechanics of Materials. Objects of analysis and design optimisation are usually products produced by various divisions and companies of the Weir Group located all over the world.
Managerial responsibilities within WARC and department include implementation of research and knowledge exchange projects, coordination with industrial partners, support of early career researchers and supervision of PhD students.
Expertise & Capabilities
- CAD (SolidWorks, PTC Creo);
- CAE (ANSYS, ABAQUS, COMSOL, SolidWorks Simulation);
- Fatigue postprocessor (nCode DesignLife);
- Metal casting simulation (SolidCast, LVMFlow);
- Data analysis and mathematics (MathCAD, Maple, Matlab, OriginPro);
- Application development using API for CAD/CAE systems;
- Scientific reporting using TeX typesetting system (LaTeX, MiKTeX).
- Ultrasonic Fatigue Testing (using Shimadzu USF-2000a machine);
- Nonlinear material models (Plasticity and Viscoplasticity, Creep, Fatigue, Hyperelasticity, Unified material models)
- Finite Element Analysis; Continuum Damage Mechanics; Creep or/and Fatigue residual life assessment; Limit / shakedown and ratchetting analyses
Registrar and tutor for ME105/ME109: Mechanical Engineering Design
The aim of this class is to place the essential elements of design at the heart of courses for Mechanical Engineering students. It shows how the disparate elements of engineering science can be brought together and used to create a safe, durable, and cost-effective solution to a perceived engineering need using 3D solid modelling. The class involves three main activities:
- Students in groups will create a mechanism using a range of manufacturing techniques and develop an appreciation of hand and machine tools for manufacturing and assembly (buggy class*).
- An introduction to Engineering Communication, Engineering Drawings, their place within the wider context of the manufacturing process.
- An Introduction to the Design Process through sketching, 3D solid modelling and assembling using CAD software.
- Appreciation of modern CAD-CAM techniques and software and development of practical design and manufacturing skills.
- Y4 project students
- Master / EF900 students
- PhD / EngD students
- Ultrasonic Fatigue Testing;
- Residual Life Assessments (based on fatigue and creep);
- Finite Element Analysis (CAE/FEA);
- Continuum Damage Mechanics (CDM);
- Rigid (Multi-)Body Dynamics.
Current research interests comprise study and modelling of non-linear material behaviour: Plasticity and Viscoplasticity, Creep, Fatigue, Hyperelasticity, Unified material models. These non-linear material effects are applied to the residual life assessments of engineering structures subject to severe loading conditions using FEA and concepts of Continuum Damage Mechanics.
Completed knowledge-exchange projects:
- “Gigacycle Fatigue Testing of Weld and Base Material of Structural Steels S275 and S355.” Industrial partner - Weir Minerals Australia, 2020-2023.
- “Flexi-Seal: Bidirectional pressure-intensified elastic metal seal” Industrial partner - Weir Oil-&-Gas USA, 2020.
- “Design optimisation of swellable elastomeric seals using advanced material modelling and FEM simulations with HPC.” Industrial partner - Weir Minerals USA, 2016-2019.
- “Investigation of Autofrettage Benefit for Stainless and Carbon Steels.” Industrial partner - Weir SPM (USA), 2018-2019.
- “Assessment of HPC Performance in Application to FEA-based Structural Analysis.” Industrial partner - Weir Group HQ, 2015-2016.
- “Methodology for FEA-based Dynamic Fatigue Analysis of Vibrating Screens.” Industrial partner - Weir Minerals Africa, 2014-2015.
- “Kinematic, Structural and Fatigue Analysis of Pump of the Future Powerframe.” Industrial partner - Weir SPM (USA), 2013-2014.
- “Literature review, experiments for elastomers, hyperelasticity models fitting and ranking, and benchmark problems for pumps and valves.” Industrial partner - Weir Minerals Australia, 2013-2014.
- “Structural and fluid dynamics analyses, microscopic studies, and experimental setup.” Industrial partner - Weir Power & Industrial France, 2013-2014.
- “Mechanical and Manufacturing Feasibility Study of a Linear Bore Positive Displacement Pump for Hydraulic Fracturing.” Industrial partner - Weir SPM (USA), 2012-2013.
Expertise related to UN Sustainable Development Goals
In 2015, UN member states agreed to 17 global Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure prosperity for all. This person’s work contributes towards the following SDG(s):
Doctor of Engineering, Development of a creep-damage model for non-isothermal long-term strength analysis of high-temperature components operating in a wide stress range, Martin-Luther-University Halle-Wittenberg
Award Date: 1 Jan 2008
Master of Engineering, Analysis of creep, long-term strength and damage of gas-turbine engine components, National Technical University “Kharkiv Polytechnic Institute”
Award Date: 1 Jan 2004
- Residual Life
- Structural Integrity
- Stress Analysis
- 1 Similar Profiles
Collaborations and top research areas from the last five years
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
Development of Sustainable Mining Equipment using Novel Fracture Mechanics based Structural Design Optimisation SRSS REA 2725 WARC International PhD Student
1/04/23 → 31/03/26
Project: Research - Studentship
1/10/16 → 22/06/20
Project: Research Studentship - Internally Allocated
England, A., Toumpis, A. & Gorash, Y., 7 Nov 2023, In: Metals. 13, 11, 23 p., 1860.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile7 Downloads (Pure)
England, A., Toumpis, A. & Gorash, Y., 1 Sept 2023. 2 p.
Research output: Contribution to conference › Paper › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile5 Downloads (Pure)
Gorash, Y. (Creator), University of Strathclyde, 12 Aug 2015
Design optimisation of swellable elastomeric seals using advanced material modelling and FEM simulations
Gorash, Y. (Creator), University of Strathclyde, 12 Dec 2016