Projects per year
I am a chartered mechanical engineer (CEng MIMechE) and an academic member of staff specialising in research and knowledge exchange activities with industrial applications at the Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Department and the Weir Advanced Research Centre.
In summary I am involved in:
- Advanced finite element analysis of safety critical structures, such as:
- Design assessment and optimization,
- Structural integrity R&D into the oil and gas industry, energy generation / wind turbine applications, welded structures,
- Experimental analysis and testing of structures, validating FEA.
- Development of innovative solutions to industrial problems with high impact, such as:
- Patented fracking pump fluidend valve seat design improved the fatigue life of pumps and now widely used in the Weir SPM products.
- Autofrettage optimisation solution developed & applied to numerous pump designs and the technology is transferred to Weir SPM.
- Wind turbine life assessment methodologies for SSE / Scottish Power.
- Weld distortion analysis methodologies for BAE Systems.
My current research interests in general are in the following areas:
- Structural integrity assessment, solid mechanics and modelling, and developing numerical (such as finite element analysis) and experimental (such as for residual stress measurement) methodologies.
- Applications to pressure equipment (such as in the oil and gas industry applications), energy generation applications (such as in renewable energy from wind turbine structures), welding simulation (such as for naval vessel fabrication).
- Fatigue & corrosion fatigue analysis and experiments.
WARC (Weir Advanced Research Centre): FEA Analysis, Fatigue, Plunger Pump Design
Welding research: Distortion analysis of stiffened thin plates
- Stress analysis
- Finite element and Boundary Element Methods
- Thermoelastic Stress Analysis
I have teaching interests in the subjects of: structural integrity, computer aided engineering design & finite eleent analysis (using ANSYS, PTC Creo, SolidWorks) as well as aeromechanical engineering and engineering business strategic analysis. I lecture undergraduate & postgraduate students in all years and run undergraduate, MSc and PhD projects.
Expertise related to UN Sustainable Development Goals
In 2015, UN member states agreed to 17 global Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure prosperity for all. This person’s work contributes towards the following SDG(s):
- 1 Similar Profiles
Collaborations and top research areas from the last five years
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
Development of Sustainable Mining Equipment using Novel Fracture Mechanics based Structural Design Optimisation SRSS REA 2725 WARC International PhD Student
1/04/23 → 31/03/26
Project: Research - Studentship
Ultrasonic fatigue testing of structural steel S275JR+AR with insights into corrosion, mean stress and frequency effectsGorash, Y., Comlekci, T., Styger, G., Kelly, J., Brownlie, F. & Milne, L., 22 Feb 2023, In: Materials. 16, 5, 16 p., 1799.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile
Milne, L. A., Gorash, Y., Comlekci, T. & MacKenzie, D., 3 Jan 2023, In: Procedia Structural Integrity. 42, p. 623-630 8 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Conference Contribution › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile