Projects per year
Research interests primarily focuses on the use of analytical, computational and experimental methods for:
- Pulsed breakdown of solid-solid dielectric interfaces and flashover of solid-gas interfaces.
- Computational modelling of fast ionisation fronts/streamer discharges and their interaction with dielectric materials.
- HV insulation coordination, with particular interest in the characteristics of gas and gas-solid insulation under impulsive electrical stress.
- Novel applications of pulsed power and low temperature plasmas.
Teaching experience includes acting as a Teaching Assistant/Demonstrator for the following classes:
- EE107 - Electronic and Electrical Principles 1
- EE105/EM105 - Electronic and Electrical Techniques and Design 1
- 19207 - Electromagnetism
- EE574/874/974 - High Voltage Technology and Electromagnetic Compatibility
- EF103 - Engineering Fundamentals (Upskilling course)
Academic / Professional qualifications
- Master of Engineering (MEng) Electrical and Mechanical Engineering (with International Study, at the Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Singapore).
- Associate Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (AFHEA).
- Associate Member of the Institute of Mechanical Engineers (AMIMechE).
- Member of the Institution of Engineering and Technology (MIET).
- Gradute Student Member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), including membership of the Dielectrics and Electrical Insultion Society (DEIS) and Nuclear and Plasma Sciences Society (NPSS).
Expertise related to UN Sustainable Development Goals
In 2015, UN member states agreed to 17 global Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure prosperity for all. This person’s work contributes towards the following SDG(s):
Master of Engineering, Electrical and Mechanical Engineering with International Study (in partnership with Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Singapore), University Of Strathclyde
1 Sept 2015 → 31 Jul 2020
Award Date: 31 Jul 2020
- 1 Similar Profiles
- 1 Active
1/10/20 → 1/04/24
Project: Research Studentship - Internally Allocated
Modelling of transient discharges along a sub-mm air-solid dielectric interface under fast-rising ramp voltagesWong, T., Timoshkin, I., MacGregor, S., Wilson, M. & Given, M., 13 Nov 2023, 2023 IEEE Pulsed Power Conference (PPC). Piscataway, NJ: IEEE, 5 p. ( IEEE Pulsed Power Conference (PPC)).
Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceeding › Conference contribution bookOpen AccessFile5 Downloads (Pure)
Wong, T., Timoshkin, I., MacGregor, S., Wilson, M. & Given, M., 13 Nov 2023, 2023 IEEE Pulsed Power Conference (PPC). Piscataway, NJ: IEEE, 5 p. (IEEE Pulsed Power Conference).
Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceeding › Conference contribution bookOpen AccessFile8 Downloads (Pure)
Timothy Wong (Participant)28 Aug 2023 → 1 Sept 2023
Activity: Participating in or organising an event types › Participation in conference
Electrostatic Modelling of Gas-filled Voids and Conductive Particles in Highly Non-uniform Electric Fields
Timothy Wong (Speaker)28 Aug 2023
Activity: Talk or presentation types › Oral presentation