Projects per year
My early research focussed on mission analysis and trajectory design, specifically concerning hybrid propulsion spacecraft (i.e. those that combine electric and chemical propulsion systems). This is applicable for interplanetary travel as well as Earth-based transfers to orbits including Geostationary Earth Orbit. The method is applicable for the new generation of all-electric propulsion spacecraft when coupled with a chemical rocket injection.
After completing my Phd, I joined an engineering consultancy and focussed on projects spanning defence, nuclear and transport while growing their space business, with a specific interest in the application of space data.
I rejoined the University of Strathclyde in 2016 as a Knowledge Exchange Fellow within the Scottish Centre of Excellence in Satellite Applications. My research interests are now split between mission design, industry engagement and the application of space data to terrestrial problems.
Notable projects include:
- The mission analysis for an polar imaging satellite in a highly elliptical orbit. Funder - European Space Agency.
- Wind Farm Optimisation for both Operations and Maintenance Forecasting and Power Output. Funder - EPSRC / ORE Catapult.
- The creation of a cycle route planning tool based on user preferences. Funder - European Space Agency. Co-Founder of the resultant spinout company.
- FireSat - A UK-Africa collaboration for enhanced detection of fires using nanosatellite technology. Funder - UK Space Agency.
- User Engagement for quantum key distribution from Space. Funder - UK Space Agency.
- User Engagement for compact multispectral imager for nanosatellites - UK Space Agency.
- Leading the SoXSA/Tontine space business incubation centre. Funder - UK Space Agency
- Co-organiser of Space 101, UK Space Conference 2017.
- 1 Similar Profiles
1/06/18 → 31/08/22
Project: Knowledge Exchange
1/04/20 → 31/03/21
Project: Research Fellowship
Macdonald, M. & Owens, S. R., 30 Jan 2018, In: Acta Astronautica. 142, p. 1-9 9 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile
Owens, S. R. & Macdonald, M., 23 Sep 2013, p. Paper IAC-13-C1.6.7. 11 p.
Research output: Contribution to conference › PaperFile