Projects per year
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) and intelligent system applications in power engineering
- Engineering application of data science and data analytics
- Condition monitoring, diagnostics and prognostics for equipment, plant and power networks
- Distributed intelligence in electric power systems, active network management and Smart Grids
- Nuclear power plant monitoring, diagnosis, prediction, and lifetime extension
- Intelligent system methods: knowledge based systems; model based reasoning; machine learning
- Multi-Agent Systems and Intelligent Agents: multi-agent methods, models, techniques and architectures for power engineering applications
- Decision support environments
Stephen McArthur is Distinguished Professor of Intelligent Energy Systems at the University of Strathclyde. His main area of expertise is applying artificial intelligence in power and energy systems. He has delivered solutions for a range of smart grid, asset management and data analytic challenges. His research now concerns the customisation of artificial intelligence techniques combined with distributed intelligence architectures to provide decision support for energy and wider industrial applications.
He won the 2021 IEEE Richard Harold Kaufmann Award for outstanding contributions in industrial systems engineering, “for innovative contributions to the advancement of intelligent systems for power engineering applications”.
He is the Principal Investigator leading the UKRI EnergyREV programme. This brings together 22 universities and 32 investigators to deliver novel research and innovation that will accelerate the uptake, value and impact of Smart Local Energy Systems. EnergyREV is a key component of the UK Industrial Strategy Challenge Fund’s Prospering from the Energy Revolution (PFER) programme. PFER intends to prove investable, scalable local business models using integrated approaches to deliver cleaner, cheaper energy services.
In addition, he is the Director of the joint Strathclyde and Imperial College EPSRC Centre for Doctoral Training in Future Power Networks and Smart Grids. This aims to train doctoral level engineers who can realise the future low carbon smart grid. He is also the Academic Director of the Advanced Nuclear Research Centre at Strathclyde, which delivers academic and industry collaborative programmes focused on plant lifetime extension and improved operations in the nuclear industry.
Within the University he is a Deputy Associate Principal for Research, Knowledge Exchange and Innovation with a remit including REF 2021 preparation and EPSRC relationship management. He also leads the Industrial Informatics Cluster within the University. Previously, from August 2011 until June 2014, he was the Head of the Department of Electronic and Electrical Engineering.
My teaching activities cover intelligent systems, distributed intelligence in power systems, smart grids, condition monitoring, and diagnostic systems.
Expertise & Capabilities
- Intelligent systems, with a focus on power and energy applications.
- Research and development of diagnostic and prognostic decision support systems.
- Decision support frameworks and architectures, using distributed intelligence methods and platforms.
- Smart Grid applications.
- Plant lifetime extension in the civil nuclear industry.
Expertise related to UN Sustainable Devlopment Goals
In 2015, UN member states agreed to 17 global Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure prosperity for all. This person’s work contributes towards the following SDG(s):
Doctor of Philosophy, UNIVERSITY OF STRATHCLYDE
Award Date: 1 Jan 1996
Bachelor of Engineering, UNIVERSITY OF STRATHCLYDE
Award Date: 1 Jan 1992
- 1 Similar Profiles
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
1/08/21 → 31/07/24
1/11/20 → 30/04/22
Al Faiya, B., Athanasiadis, D., Chen, M., McArthur, S., Kockar, I., Lu, H. & de Leon, F., 30 Sep 2021, In: IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid. 12, 5, p. 4102-4112 11 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile29 Downloads (Pure)
Fagan, A., West, G. & McArthur, S., 1 Jun 2021, p. 48-55. 8 p.
Research output: Contribution to conference › Paper › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile12 Downloads (Pure)
McArthur, Stephen (Recipient), Jul 2010
Prize: Prize (including medals and awards)
Stephen McArthur (Advisor)Apr 2021 → …
Activity: Membership types › Membership of council
Stephen McArthur (Advisor)1 Jan 2018 → 31 Dec 2020
Activity: Membership types › Membership of committee
Impact: Impact - for External Portal › Economic and commerce, Environment and sustainability - natural world and built environment, Health and welfare - new products, guidelines and services, Quality of life and safety, Education, Policy and legislation, Public understanding, information and debate