Projects per year
I have expertise in safety engineering, fire safety and analytical methods, with the objective to optimise operational efficiency and safety. I have been involved in technical and management capacity in numerous R&D (mainly EU funded) and consultancy projects over last 15 years.
I started in 1998 as a software engineer in a design consultancy, then pursued a PhD in structural optimisation with applications to aviation and motorsport (Airbus fuselage, Ducati frame etc.). I then worked as a postdoc in risk-based design and maritime safety at University of Strathclyde, and went back to consultancy where I spent several years before I joined Maritime Safety Research Centre in 2016.
I am a Chartered Engineer and member of Royal Institution of Naval Architects.
My research interest lies in Safety Engineering and Science, as well as Operations Research discipline. Principal research and consultancy areas are:
- Hazard analysis and safety assessment, using conventional (FT, FMEA, BBN etc.) and systemic methods (e.g., STPA/STAMP) with applications to socio-technical and highly automated systems (i.e., cyber-physical systems such as dynamic positioning)
- Modern/digital safety assurance approaches such as dynamic barrier management
- Safety management (ISM Code etc.)
- Accident analysis (using such methods as CAST/STAMP) and classification of causal factors
- Optimisation of efficiency and safety of maritime operations (e.g., cargo stowage on Ro-Ro decks)
Expertise & Capabilities
- Safety assessment of complex socio-technical systems, highly automated systems / cyper-physical systems
- Fire safety engineering, primarily focusing on fires in machinery spaces and on Ro-Ro decks
- Development of functional safety requirements and safety barriers/controls/defences (incl. cost effectiveness analysis)
- Optimisation methods (LP, EA, DP, etc.)
- Offshore wind industry (service operation vessels etc.)
- Ship operators and designers
- Offshore Oil & Gas
1/11/17 → 31/10/20
Research Output per year
A comparative safety assessment for direct current and direct current with hybrid supply power systems in a windfarm service operation vessel using system- theoretic process analysisBolbot, V., Puisa, R., Theotokatos, G., Boulougouris, E. & Vassalos, D., 18 Sep 2019. 16 p.
Research output: Contribution to conference › Paper
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article