Projects per year
John Anderson Building
107 Rottenrow E,
University of Strathclyde,
Telephone: 0141 574 5328
3. Nano-scale accurate transfer printing of ultra-thin diamond membranes.
4. Integration of diamond membranes with planar waveguide optical technologies with low added losses of < 0.4 dB.
5. Development of a custom lithography pattern generation tool. Creating mask files to GDSII and UV laser lithography systems.
6. Integrated photonic device design and simulation.
7. All stages of photolithographic process flows - PECVD hard mask deposition, photoresist spin coating, UV exposure, development,
8. Microfabrication and optical measurements of waveguiding structures.
9. Spectral analysis of resonator structures
Most recently I have published a manuscript detailing the work I have done in the fabrication and integration of a 1 μm thick single crystal diamond membrane with a Si photonic chip.
The successful fabrication of ultra-thin diamond membranes on a distributed bragg reflector (DBR) is a result that we are excited about in our collaborative efforts with Oxford Universities materials department. The prepared diamond membrane on the DBR mirror will be inserted into a free-space tunable cavity and light collected by a fibre to observe Purcell enhancement of diamond defect centres. The samples were smoothed over time to a sample thickness of less than a micrometre with a surface roughness r.m.s. value of approximately 0.4 nm. The samples used in this work were ordered from Element 6 and are single crystal diamond (SCD) of an electronic grade and dimensions 4 x 4 x 0.2 mm.
Conferences and Publications
Publication, Diamond & Related Materials, "Thin film diamond membranes bonded on-demand with SOI ring resonators" - https://doi.org/10.1016/j.diamond.2018.07.020 - July 2018
Integrated Photonics Research, Zurich Conference, Oral presentation, "Hybridisation of diamond with silicon photonic resonators." - https://doi.org/10.1364/IPRSN.2018.ITh2J.5 - July 2018
DeBeers Diamond conference, University of Warwick, poster presentation, "Hybrid integration of diamond membranes with GaN waveguides" - July 2017
1st Year Physics Ph.D talks, Ross Priory, University of Strathclyde. Conference presentation "Heterogeneous integration of diamond photonic devices on non-native substrates" August 2016. PRIZE: Best Talk
Symposium on Quantum Information, Simulation and Metrology, University of Strathclyde. Poster presentation "Microfabrication of thin lm diamond optical devices" - June 2016.
Master in Science, University of Warwick
1 Oct 2014 → 1 Oct 2015
Bachelor of Science, University of the West of Scotland
1 Oct 2009 → 1 Jul 2014
1/04/14 → 30/09/22
Project: Research - Studentship
Research Output per year
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article
Research output: Contribution to conference › Speech
Data for: "Thermally tuneable integrated diamond micro-disk resonators fabricated by micro-assembly"
Hill, P. (Creator), University of Strathclyde, 25 Apr 2019