Projects per year
- Impact of occupant comfort and behaviour on energy use.
- Renewable energy integration in buildings, communities and micro-grids.
- Integration of Energy Storage in Low Carbon Buildings and Districts.
- Future building performance, standards and regulations.
- Building industry design process and zero defect performance in practice.
- Building and systems performance simulation.
- Buildings, systems and controls optimisation.
- Passive buildings, EU Passivhaus standards.
- Model Predictive Control of Solar Thermal Systems.
- Microelectronic systems.
Lecturer in Energy Systems (2010 - present). Registrar for: MSc modules: Energy Systems Analysis, Power Plant Systems, Nuclear Power; and 3rd Year Environmental Engineering Science.
Member of 2007 and 2013 Scot Gov Expert Panel which produced 'A Low Carbon Building Standards Strategy for Scotland'.
Board member of UK Passivhaus Trust 2012 - 2016.
IEA ECES Annex 31 task leader: 'Modelling of Storage for Optimisation and Automation of Low Carbon Buildings and Systems' (2013-2018)
Director of Scot Gov funded SESG Knowledge Exchange project (2009 - 2012). Developed and delivered numerous CPD events including accreditation Exams for Institute of Housing, Incorporation of Scottish Architects, Buildings Professionals.
Research Fellow (2006 - 2009) Science and Innovations Award. Projects: Scot Gov Scottish Energy Rating Tool, EU Certified Passive House Designer, EPSRC Building Market Transformation, EPSRC Comfort and Energy Use in Buildings.
Certified Passive House Designer and Trainer.
PhD researcher 'Strategies for Low Carbon Buildings' (2004-2006).
Staff Manager, Engineering Manager, New Technology Manager and Technologist at Motorola UK and USA (1983-2003).
Expertise & Capabilities
- Advanced buildings and building systems
- Comfort and behaviour of people in buildings
- Smart sustainable communities
- Low and zero carbon technologies
- Integration of Storage in Low Carbon Buildings and Districts
- Design support, performance analysis, modelling, monitoring and POE
- Building regulations
- Passive House Design
- Energy Systems
Academic / Professional qualifications
PhD Thesis: Strategies for low carbon buildings: Assessment of design options and translation of design intent into performance in practice. University of Strathclyde, 2013.
MSc: Energy Systems and the Environment. Thesis: Sustainable Housing. University of Strathclyde. 2004.
MSc: Design and Manufacture of Microelectronic Systems. Thesis: Realistic worsts cast parameter sets for circuit simulation. University of Edinburgh. 1986.
BSc Hons. Applied Physics. University of Strathclyde. 1983.
- Energy efficiency, energy optimisation, energy modelling, demand side management, renewable energy, hybrid energy systems.
- Energy Storage
- Energy System Modelling
- Modelling Softwares and Tools
Research Output per year
Ability of Decentralised Mechanical Ventilation to Act as 'Whole-house' Ventilation Systems in New-build DwellingsSharpe, T., McGill, G., McQuillan, J., Lantschner, B., Morgan, C. & Tuohy, P., 6 Dec 2019, Edinburgh. 132 p.
Research output: Book/Report › Commissioned report
A methodology for designing decentralised energy systems with predictive control for heat pumps and thermal storageLyden, A. & Tuohy, P., 13 Aug 2019, In : E3S Web of Conferences. 111, 8 p., 06014.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Conference article
Supervisor: Tuohy, P. G. (Supervisor) & Biggs, J. (Supervisor)
Student thesis: Doctoral Thesis
Building 'in' tenant energy performance : a new method of benchmarking variations in patterns of use by building tenureAuthor: Morton, E. M., 10 Oct 2017
Student thesis: Doctoral Thesis
Activities per year
100% Renewable Energy Systems Masterplanning and Modelling for the £24.5M East Ayrshire Growth Deal 'National Energy Research Demonstrator (NERD)'Paul Gerard Tuohy (Speaker)
Activity: Talk or presentation types › Invited talk