Nova joined the University of Strathclyde's School of Education on a full-time basis in October 2019, having worked in the primary sector for 25 years. She started her career in Glasgow City Council where she spent 15 happy years working as a Class Teacher, Senior Teacher, Principal Teacher and Depute Head Teacher. Nova moved to East Renfrewshire to take up her first Head Teacher post and then to Renfrewshire as Head Teacher of a wonderful school.
Nova returned to study at Strathclyde in 2018 and is currently a Doctoral student on the Ed.D programme. Nova’s doctoral research is exploring relationships between primary school teachers and children who display distressed behaviour. She is keen to learn more about what factors are crucial to ensure these relationships are positive.
Nova is also a member of the PGDE Course Management Team. She coordinates the PGDE (Primary) RME input and is Co-Module Leader of the new PGDE module, Professional Learning through Enquiry. Nova teaches on a variety of courses, many of which complement her research interests and her experience from school.
She is currently supervising students undertaking M.Ed (Educational Leadership) and is happy to supervise students, particularly in areas that suit her research interests.
Nova is currently working on her submission for Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy.
- Professional Learning (both in-service and ITE)
- The development of Practitioner Enquiry in ITE
- Experiences of children who display distressed behaviour
- The impact of teacher / child relationships
- Educational leadership
Co-Module Leader of PGDE Professional Learning through Enquiry
Member of the PGDE Course Management Team
PGDE (Primary) RME Coordinator
- X9574 – PGDE Professional Learning through Enquiry
- X9573 – PGDE Education Studies, Professional Values
- X9592 – PGDE Curriculum & Pedagogy (Literacy, Culture and Environment)
- X9575 – PGDE Professional Practice (Primary)
- X9298 – BACP Children’s Rights and Social Justice
- X9371 – BACP Leading People
- X7205 – BACP Contemporary Childhood: a sociological perspective
- X7797 – M.Ed (EYP) – Leading in a Time of Change
- X3820 – M.Ed (Leadership) – Leadership, Equity, Inclusion & Social Justice
- X3821 – M.Ed (Leadership) – Leadership for school improvement
- M.Ed (Leadership) – Masters student supervision
Academic / Professional qualifications
Post Graduate Certificate in Supporting Teacher Learning, University of Strathclyde, 2020
Post Graduate Diploma in Educational Leadership and Management, University of Glasgow, 2009
Scottish Qualification for Headship, University of Glasgow, 2009
Bachelor of Education with 1st Class honours and Distinction in Teaching, University of Glasgow (Jordanhill), 1995