Projects per year
I am Professor of Entrepreneurship and Head of the Hunter Centre for Entrepreneurship at the University of Strathclyde. I am a senior academic, experienced manager, serial entrepreneur and community leader. Before joining Strathclyde Business School, I previously worked as Professor of Entrepreneurship at Lancaster University Management School and Professor of Enterprise at Leeds University Business School. In 2015, I was awarded a prestigious National Teaching Fellowship for outstanding contribution to enterprise in higher education. I am a Fellow and Past President of the Institute for Small Business and Entrepreneurship. To raise awareness of dyslexia, I blog as The Dyslexic Professor - www.nigellockett.com
My current research interests include academic entrepreneurship, entrepreneurial learning and the use of CRM technologies by SMEs. I am currently a Co-Investigator on the £7m GCRF RECIRCULATE project: Driving eco-innovation in Africa: capacity-building for a safe, circular water economy.
- 2017-21 ESRC: GCRF RECIRCULATE: Driving eco-innovation in Africa: capacity building for a safe circular water economy, with Paul, N. (PI), Rufino, M., Dodd, I., Semple, K., Roy, M., Jack, S., Pickup, R., Alcock, R., Fogg, H., Martin, A., Ansa-Asare, O., Ezemonye, L. and Ansah, G. Leader of Work Package 1: Innovation and Entrepreneurship (£1,700,000) £6,800,000.
- 2016-17 NERC: DTP and CDT ‘added value activities in innovation’, WP: Stimulating Entrepreneurial Thinking for Scientists (SETS) Programme, as PI with Larty, J. and Zozimo, R. £69,000.
- 2015-18 Higher Education Academy: National Teaching Fellowship Scheme, as PI. £10,000.
- 2014-15 EEUK: Bridging the Gap between Higher Education and Further Education Enterprise Educators, with Jones, S. (PI) and Simmons, E. £5,000.
- 2012-13 ESRC: Sharing and building university and business perspectives of how to enable high growth in small firms ES/K000780/1, with Martin, L. (PI), and Schofield, C. £64,000.
- 2008-10 KTP Award: A strategic organisation-wide project to improve management capability by researching, developing and implementing performance management systems and delivering cultural change KTP7135, as PI with Taylor, M. £112,000.
- 2007-10 ESRC: Knowledge and technology transfer, innovation and competitive advantage: Past and present ES/E019560/1, with Rose, M. (PI), Jack, S. and Robinson, S. £267,000
- 2006-08 EPSRC: Lancaster Centre for E-Management and E-Science EP/D055555/1, [5% FTE] with Crouchley, R. (PI), Blair, G., Brown, D., Coulson, G. and Hutchison, D. £207,000.
- 2006-07 EPSRC: InfoLab21 Knowledge Transfer Study, as PI. £20,000.
- 2005-06 Lancaster University: The process of ICT innovation and technology transfer: a small firm perspective, as PI. £4,000.
- 2003-06 KTP Award: The use of soft systems methodology (SSM) in the implementation of customer relationship management (CRM) software in SMEs KTP4230, as PI with Brown, D. £103,000.
I am the co-author of a major textbook: Exploring Entrepreneurship published by Sage Publishing. I have successfully designed and delivered innovative programmes in entrepreneurship, innovation, and technology enterprise. I have also worked with many small business owners on growth programmes including the Goldman Sachs 10,000 Small Businesses, Be the Business Productivity through People and Strathclyde Business School Growth Advantage Programme.
Academic / Professional qualifications
Ph.D. in Management Science, University of Lancaster.
M.Sc. in Information Management, University of Lancaster
B.Sc. in Applied Biological Sciences, CNAA
I have over 25 years’ experience as a company director, with a track record in managing start-up, joint venture and social enterprises.
Project: Knowledge Exchange
1/10/14 → 1/01/18
Project: Research Studentship - Internally Allocated
The emerging role of university spin-off companies in developing regional entrepreneurial university ecosystems: the case of AndalusiaFuster, E., Padilla-Meléndez, A., Lockett, N. & del-Águila-Obraa, A. R., 1 Apr 2019, In: Technological Forecasting and Social Change. 141, p. 219-231 13 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen Access
Lockett, N. & King, S., 1 Sep 2018, In: International Journal of Hospitality Management. 75, p. 94-104 11 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile20 Citations (Scopus)8 Downloads (Pure)