Projects per year
I am a Professor in Offshore Renewable Energy Engineering, and I joined the Naval Architecture, Ocean and Marine Engineering Department of the University of Strathclyde in August 2018.
My area of expertise is applied mechanics, focusing on multidisciplinary, coupled model of dynamics of offshore renewable energy systems.
My research in the areas of analysis and design of floating offshore wind turbines and multi-purpose offshore structures is recognised as excellent at international level. I am also chair of the ITTC Ocean Renewable Energy committee (2021-24), member of the editorial board of the Ocean Engineering and Wind Energy Science journals, member of the scientific advisory committee in major international research projects and several offshore engineering conferences.
I have directly managed ~4.5M£ of public research funding, in projects for a total value of ~28.5M£, funded by the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council UK (EPSRC), Natural Environment Research Council UK (NERC), Newton funds UK, Innovate UK, Royal Society (UK), EETF (Scottish Government), ORE Catapult (UK), Energy FP7 and H2020 (EU).
I have also been working closely with the private sector, with companies ranging from small start-ups to large multinational energy companies. Some examples are:
- Concept selection and preliminary design of floating support structures for offshore wind turbine farms for offshore wind developers.
- Design support tool for innovative offshore wind turbine configurations, developing dedicated, advanced aero-hydro-servo-elastic coupled model of dynamics.
- Due diligence review of novel floating wind turbine support structure designs.
- Technical feasibility assessment of floating offshore wind turbine configuration with hydrogen production and storage facilities.
Selected list of publicly funded research projects (last years):
- Co-Investigator and Work Package leader in the 5 years (2021-2026), ~10M£ EPSRC project Ocean RE-Fuel (https://gow.epsrc.ukri.org/NGBOViewGrant.aspx?GrantRef=EP/W005212/1), leading the analysis and design of a floating wind turbine producing hydrogen in the offshore environment.
- Work Package leader in the 3.5 years (2018-2021), € 10m EU H2020 project “The Blue Growth Farm” (http://www.thebluegrowthfarm.eu/) (https://cordis.europa.eu/project/rcn/216067_en.html), focusing on the development and demonstration of a multi-functional platform for open sea farm installations of the Blue Growth Industry. I was in the development of a multidisciplinary, coupled model of dynamics of this multi-purpose platform.
- Principal Investigator of one of the five EPSRC/Newton funds Joint UK-China Offshore Renewable Energy flagship projects, the 3 years (2017-20), £ 0.8m project INNO-MPP (http://gow.epsrc.ac.uk/NGBOViewGrant.aspx?GrantRef=EP/R007497/1), focusing on the development of multi-purpose offshore platforms for the sustainable development of small/isolated communities, exploiting the synergies among offshore renewable energy and aquaculture industries.
- Co-Investigator and Work Package leader in the 3 years (2017-20), 3 m£ EPSRC project HOME-Offshore (http://homeoffshore.org/), which focuses on merging Artificial Intelligence, Robotic inspection and Advanced Physics Modelling to lower the cost of offshore wind farm maintenance. My task focused on developing advanced model of dynamics for wind turbines.
Expertise related to UN Sustainable Development Goals
In 2015, UN member states agreed to 17 global Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure prosperity for all. This person’s work contributes towards the following SDG(s):
Guest Professor, Harbin Engineering University
2019 → 2024
External examiner for the BEng and MEng in Ship Science, University of Southampton
Oct 2017 → Sept 2021
Mamber of Specialist Committee on Hydrodynamic Modelling of Marine Renewable Energy Devices, International Towing Tank Conference
23 Sept 2017 → 20 Sept 2020
Member of the Maritime Innovation Committee, The Royal Institution of Naval Architecture
2017 → 2018
External examiner for the MSc in Offshore Floating Systems and Msc in Ship & Offshore Structures, University of Strathclyde
Oct 2015 → Jul 2018
Member of the Ocean Engineering Committee, International Towing Tank Conference
5 Sept 2014 → 22 Sept 2017
- Offshore Renewables
- Offshore Engineering
- Offshore Floating Wind Turbines
- Multi-purpose platform
- Multi-use platform
- System Modelling and Simulation
- Offshore Wind
- 1 Similar Profiles
Collaborations and top research areas from the last five years
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
Sykes, V., Collu, M. & Coraddu, A., 31 Oct 2023, In: Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews . 186, 26 p., 113634.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile23 Downloads (Pure)
Sykes, V., Collu, M. & Coraddu, A., 1 Oct 2023, In: Ocean Engineering. 285, Part 1, 24 p., 115247.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile7 Downloads (Pure)
William Quirke (Member), Sarah Proctor (Member), Scott Strachan (Chair), Doungahire Abdoul Karim Zanhouo (Member), Ali Bakhit (Member), Aruna Ivaturi (Member), Astrid Werkmeister (Member), Avril Thomson (Member), Barry Moore (Member), Bingzhang Chen (Member), Claire Timmins (Member), Clare Mouat (Member), Damien Williams (Member), David Comerford (Member), Debbie McLeod (Member), Deirdre Harrington (Member), Donna Ramsay (Member), Eirini Gallou (Member), Elizabeth Margaret Robertson (Member), Eva Kourova (Member), Ewan McQueen (Member), Hyoje Kim (Member), Ines Ruiz (Member), Kathryn McClure (Member), Kimia Witte (Member), Louise Logan (Member), Mark Haw (Member), Maurizio Collu (Member), Michelle Fisher (Member), Murielle Jousseau (Member), Robert Collins (Member), Scott McGrane (Member), Seb Sprick (Member), Sharon Ingram (Member), Suzanne Faulkner (Member), Tracy Morse (Member) & Wendy Pring (Member)10 Oct 2022 → …
Activity: Membership types › Membership of network