Projects per year
Chancellor’s Research Fellow and Lecturer in Pharmacology, Haematology and Drug Discovery
- RSE Young Academy of Scotland elected member, 2018
- Ingenious & Enterprising Women Scotland member, 2018
- Winston Churchill Memorial Trust Fellow, 2018
- Editor-in-Chief of Pharmacology Matters magazine, 2017-present
- Postgraduate Diploma in Academic Practice, University of Strathclyde, 2017
- Academy of Medical Sciences Springboard Awardee, 2016-present
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (HEA), 2016
- British Heart Foundation PDRA in the Bristol Platelet Group, University of Bristol, 2010-2014
- AJ Clark PhD Studentship in Pharmacology, University of Strathclyde, 2006-2010
- First Class BSc (Hons) Biochemistry and Pharmacology, University of Strathclyde, 2004-2006
- Laboratory Technician in Cardiovascular Research, University of Glasgow, 1999-2004
My field of expertise is G protein-coupled receptor (GPCR) regulation and function in health and disease. My research area broadly spans understanding the molecular mechanisms of GPCR involvement in the processes that underpin platelet function, anti-cancer cardiotoxicity, inflammation and pain. I am a member of the SIPBS Cellular Basis of Disease (CBD) Research Group and I co-lead the Cardiovascular and Metabolic Diseases sub-group with Dr Susan Currie.
Improving attainment, participation and engagement in science is very important to me therefore I mentor students as part of the Social Mobility Foundation and the Strathclyde Cares Widening Access at University of Strathclyde. I am a keen advocate of enhancing STEM education in primary and secondary schools and sit on the University of Strathclyde and SIPBS Outreach committees. I am a member of the SIPBS Athena SWAN Self-Assessment Team where I lead on the Career Progression working group for training and form part of the Organisation, Culture and Communication working group.
My research is highly collaborative and multidisciplinary with ongoing projects in my laboratory including:
- Employing proteomics to decipher the protein interacting pathways that regulate proteinase-activated receptor (PAR) activity (Bristol Proteomics Facility)
- Development of novel synthetic PAR modulators (Collaboration with Professor Robert Liskamp)
- Understanding GPCR dimerization and protein interaction in pain and platelet function (Collaborations with Dr Charles Kennedy and Professor Stuart Mundell)
- Investigating the cardiotoxicity of anticancer agents (Collaboration with Dr Susan Currie)
- Cellular imaging of therapeutic agents using Mass Spectrometry Imaging (MSI) techniques (Collaboration with CMAC and Dr Blair Johnston)
I have an open-door policy and offer a supportive environment for highly motivated students to progress in their studies and develop their research skills.
I welcome all informal enquiries to discuss potential opportunities to join my research team!
*Lab group website in development
I am a lecturer for Undergraduate Year 3 BM322 Biomedical Pharmacology, BM324 and BM327 Fundamentals of Pharmacology classes and support the delivery of lectures for BM933 Advanced studies in Haematology and BM937 Advanced topics in Biomedical research. I also provide laboratory based research projects as part of BM432 and BM906.
I coordinate and deliver the Organisational and Staff Development Unit (OSDU) Research Bidding and Design - Getting Started class with Dr Emma Compton-Daw and Dr Katherine Duncan to help support early career researchers with grantmanship.
My laboratory welcomes placements as part of the Erasmus programme so please contact me for further information and details of project opportunities available.
I actively engage with primary and secondary schools to help devise and deliver their STEM-related activities and participate in their career carousel events. I offer work experience to secondary school students to give them a taste of laboratory life.
Research Output per year
Research output: Contribution to journal › Meeting abstract
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article
Margaret Rose Cunningham (Recipient), Apr 2014
Prize: Prize (including medals and awards)
Activities per year
Activity: Other › Types of Public engagement and outreach - Media article or participation