Projects per year
- Power system planning and operation and 'smart grids'
- Power system economics, markets and regulation
- Energy policy and energy system modelling
- Managing risk in power systems and use of statistical methods and intelligent systems
- Grid integration of renewables
Keith Bell joined the University of Strathclyde in 2005 having previously worked as a researcher in Bath, Manchester and Naples and as a system development engineer in the electricity supply industry in Britain. He was appointed to the ScottishPower Chair in Smart Grids in late 2013 and became one of the co-Directors of the UK Energy Research Centre in 2014. In July 2018, along with Ian Cotton, he became Scientific Director of the Electrical Infrastructure Research Hub established by the University of Strathclyde with the Offshore Renewable Energy Catapult and the University of Manchester and, in April 2019, became a member of the Committee on Climate Change. He is an invited expert member of CIGRE Study Committee C1 on System Development and Economics, a member of the Executive Board of the Power Systems Computation Conference and a member of the Executive Committee of the IET Power Academy, an initiative to promote electric power engineering as a graduate career in the UK. He is a Chartered Engineer and, at different times, has advised the Scottish Government, the Republic of Ireland government, Ofgem and the UK Department of Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy on power systems issues as well as being active in a number of engineering research projects in collaboration with UK and European industry and academic partners.
- Contributor to EE576/976 (Power System Economics, Markets and Asset Management)
- Module registar for EE807 (Managing Risk and Uncertainty in Grid Operation) delivered within the Centre for Doctoral Training on Future Networks
- Contributor to EE986 (Assignment and Professional Studies)
- Supervisor of 4th year undergraduate projects, MSc projects, and projects in the Centres for Doctoral Training on Wind Energy Systems and Future Networks
- Strathclyde representative on the IET Power Academy Executive
Doctor of Philosophy, University of Bath
Bachelor of Engineering, University of Bath
co-Director, UK Energy Research CentreMay 2014 → Apr 2019
Research Output per year
An investigation into spatial and temporal aspects of transient stability in power systems with increasing renewable generationHamilton, R. I., Papadopoulos, P. N. & Bell, K., 23 Aug 2019, In : International Journal of Electrical Power and Energy Systems. 115, 11 p., 105486.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article
Assessing the impacts of large EV penetration in the UK: analysis of network investments and changes in fuel useCalvillo, C. F., Turner, K., Bell, K. & McGregor, P., 29 May 2019. 18 p.
Research output: Contribution to conference › Paper
Supervisor: Bell, K. (Supervisor) & (Supervisor)
Student thesis: Doctoral Thesis
Student thesis: Doctoral Thesis
Activities per year
Activity: Other activity types › Types of Public engagement and outreach - Media article or participation
Activity: Talk or presentation types › Invited talk