Research Output per year
Kankana's academic qualifications include a BS in Political Science, MBA, and MSc in energy management. She is an experienced researcher with interests spanning many aspects of energy generation and consumption – economics, policy and the environment, economic diversification, energy productivity, and economic growth. Kankana also has professional energy-sector experience in business development and consulting for renewable energy, energy efficiency, and sustainability. In addition, she is an active member of the UN Economic Commission for Europe Joint Task Force on Energy Efficiency Standards in Buildings, and the Technical Committee for Group of Experts on Energy Efficiency. She has published articles in peer reviewed academic journals, and presented her work at several international forums. Kankana is particularly keen to develop insightful and forward-thinking energy sector analyses and policies to optimize economic and social growth.
Kankana’s thesis will discuss in detail the integration of energy policy with value-added economic sectors, such as industry, commerce, and transport. The objective of her research is to evaluate and compare the role of energy policy in these sectors across countries. An insight that drives her research is that while energy policy is usually technology driven, it has a wide social impact which is less understood. The research study aims to find answers to the following research questions:
1. What is an energy policy?
• How are energy policies integrated with other types of policies such as, industrial policy, social policy, healthcare policy, etc.? The findings will be supported by case studies.
2. How are energy policies framed across countries? The aim is to identify and explain the 4 I’s of international political economy of economic policies - Ideas, Interest, Institutions, and International context.
• What is the focus of energy policies in countries categorized according to various relevant dimensions: resource rich (exports), energy security (imports), renewable energy, energy efficiency, and energy productivity?
3. What is the relationship between energy policy and economic growth?
• What is the role of energy supply and use in the economy? What is energy used for in an economy, and what is its role in economic growth? How can public policy be designed to optimize energy use and economic growth?
• What is the economy-wide impact of social policy decisions on other factors of production, such as supply chain and labor? How these other factors influence energy-related policy making?
Research output: Other contribution
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article
Activities per year
Activity: Participating in or organising an event types › To be assigned