Projects per year
Dr Liu is a Senior Manufacturing Engineering of Advanced Forming Research Centre (AFRC), University of Strathclyde in the UK. He is now leading a few research projects in the centre on the development of novel lightweight manufacturing technologies for automotive and aerospace industries.
His academic background is metallic materials and manufacturing engineering, mainly on sheet metal forming technologies. He received his PhD degree in 2013, with a focus on development of a novel superplastic forming process using aluminium and titanium alloys at lower-temperature and faster forming conditions. Before joining AFRC, he was at Imperial College as a post-doctoral researcher working on hot stamping technologies for lightweight applications.
Dr Liu has has rich expertise in materials characterisation, microstructure, forming processes, FE simulation, etc. He has achieved a lot of research achievements in metal forming, including:
- Materials Science and Modelling
Physical- & process- based metallurgical analysis; Materials characterisation to reveal fundamental mechanics in metal forming processes; Development of constitutive equations with the underlying dislocation motion to predict microstructure evolution in thermo-mechanical forming processes; Development of materials modelling techniques incorporating microstructural changes, deformation mechanisms and mechanical properties.
- Lightweight Manufacturing Technologies
Experimental and computer-based investigations of novel processing methods, with industrial potential, which utilise aluminium alloys in land transport and aerospace vehicles. Technologies contributing to the production of lightweight, strong and complex shaped components have included, heat treatment, tailor welded blanks, superplastic forming, hot stamping, cryogenic forming, hydroforming, etc.
Finite element analysis
Microstructure and texture
Sheet metal forming
Expertise & Capabilities
- Advanced structural materials and high-performance complex manufacturing technologies
- Material characterisation (SEM, TEM, EBSD) on the microstructures, defects and properties
- CAD and FEA for tool design, processing window, formability and material properties
- Deformation mechanisms and their applications in manufacturing processes
- Materials modelling and FE simulation
- Data guided technologies in metal forming
Engineering consultant (2015 – 2018) of Impression Technologies Ltd, Coventry, UK
Duties: Aluminium lightweighting prototype design; Processing window optimisation, Full-scale component manufacture & testing; Mechanical properties evaluation; Data analysis & experimental measurement; and Technical & economic analysis.
- Materials Characterisation
It introduces both the physical principles and practical applications of the more common modern methods of materials characterisation. It covers techniques of both microstructural analysis and micro-chemical, together with various scanning probe microscopy techniques. Emphasis is placed on the information that can be obtained together with the limitations of each technique.
- Materials Processing and Manufacturing Technologies
It intends to equip the students with relevant and up-to-date knowledge and skills of advanced design tools, materials, manufacturing processes and systems in conjunction with developing efficient operation and effective management skills. Integrating these will enable the students to pursue a career in both general and specialised engineering industries or develop an in-depth knowledge for a career in industry or academia.
- Others modules in line with the University policies and guidelines at postgraduate and undergraduate level on Materials and Manufacturing Engineering.
Academic / Professional qualifications
- 2019 Editor board in Engineering Science & Technology
- 2018 Outstanding Contribution in Reviewing for International Journal of Hydrogen Energy
- 2017 Outstanding Contribution in Reviewing for International Journal of Mechanical Sciences
Doctor of Philosophy, Hybrid superplastic forming of Al and Ti alloys, Nanyang Technological University
Award Date: 2 Jul 2013
- 1 Similar Profiles
Collaborations and top research areas from the last five years
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
1/10/23 → 28/02/28
1/06/23 → 30/11/24
Zhu, M., Lim, Y. C., Cai, Z., Liu, X., Dhawan, S., Liu, J. & Politis, D. J., 28 Feb 2021, In: The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology. 112, p. 3445-3458 14 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile
Bucconi, M. & Liu, J., 2020, Paisley. 40 p.
Research output: Book/Report › Commissioned report