Projects per year
My research focus is the development of advanced diagnostic tools for the earlier diagnosis and targeted treatment of cancer. I work closely with clinicians to better understand clinical needs and with engineers and life scientists to develop solutions to these challenges.
Current funding supports research projects on the development of elasticity imaging using contrast-enhanced magneto-motive ultrasound for the early detection of colorectal cancer, a pilot clinical trial to establish effectiveness of contrast enhanced ultrasound to detect sentinel lymph nodes in rectal cancer, development of physiological flow phantoms to investigate factors capable of influencing ultrasound and microbubble mediated drug delivery, delivery of siRNA using ultrasound and microbubbles to treat hypertension in a mouse model and investigation of low frequency ultrasound to stimulate bone repair. I also have expertise in non-linear acoustics, contrast imaging, microbubbles, medical device design and fabrication, therapeutic ultrasound and elastography.
Academic / Professional qualifications
Membership of Professional Bodies
- Young Academy Scotland, Royal Society of Edinburgh (August 2018)
- Institute of Physics MInstP (January 2015)
- Higher Education Academy FHEA (December 2015)
- Institution of Mechanical Engineers MIMechE (October 1997) CEng (January 2014)
Current Committee Memberships
- Chair Publicity, IEEE International Ultrasonics Symposium 2020
- Co-Chair Legacy and Outreach, IEEE International Ultrasonics Symposium 2019
- IEEE UFFC representative to TMI, member of AdCom (April 2019)
- Associate Editor of IEEE UFFC (August 2017)
- Physical Acoustics Group, Institute of Physics (February 2015), Treasurer (January 2018).
- IEEE Ultrasonics Symposium, Technical Program Committee (February 2014)
- Scottish Ultrasound Group, Founder and Chair (June 2013)
University of Glasgow
Jan 2014 → Dec 2015
Bachelor of Engineering, University of Glasgow
Sep 1997 → Jul 2001
- ultrasound, imaging, microbubbles, elastography, tissue mechanics