Projects per year
My research focus is the development of advanced diagnostic tools for the earlier diagnosis and targeted treatment of cancer. I work closely with clinicians to better understand clinical needs and with engineers and life scientists to develop solutions to these challenges.
Current funding supports research projects on the development of elasticity imaging using contrast-enhanced magneto-motive ultrasound for the early detection of colorectal cancer, a pilot clinical trial to establish effectiveness of contrast enhanced ultrasound to detect sentinel lymph nodes in rectal cancer, development of physiological flow phantoms to investigate factors capable of influencing ultrasound and microbubble mediated drug delivery, delivery of siRNA using ultrasound and microbubbles to treat hypertension in a mouse model and investigation of low frequency ultrasound to stimulate bone repair. I also have expertise in non-linear acoustics, contrast imaging, microbubbles, medical device design and fabrication, therapeutic ultrasound and elastography.
Currently available PhD studentships:
I am always keen to hear from prospective PhD students and post doctoral researchers with complimentary research interests, please get in touch to discuss.
Expertise & Capabilities
Membership of Professional Bodies
- Young Academy Scotland, Royal Society of Edinburgh (August 2018)
- Institute of Physics MInstP (January 2015)
- Higher Education Academy FHEA (December 2015)
- Institution of Mechanical Engineers MIMechE (October 1997) CEng (January 2014)
Current Committee Memberships
- IEEE UFFC Publicity Chair & Web Editor in Chief (from 2020)
- Associate Editor in Chief of IEEE T-UFFC (from 2020)
- Publicity Chair, IEEE International Ultrasonics Symposium 2020
- Co-Chair Legacy and Outreach, IEEE International Ultrasonics Symposium 2019
- IEEE UFFC representative to TMI, member of AdCom (from 2019)
- Associate Editor of IEEE T-UFFC (from 2017)
- Physical Acoustics Group, Institute of Physics Committee (from 2015), Treasurer (from 2018).
- IEEE Ultrasonics Symposium, Technical Program Committee (from 2014)
- Scottish Ultrasound Group, Founder and Chair (June 2013)
University of Glasgow
Jan 2014 → Dec 2015
Award Date: 18 Dec 2015
Bachelor of Engineering, University of Glasgow
Sep 1997 → Jul 2001
Award Date: 10 Jul 2001
Publicity Chair, IEEE Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics, and Frequency Control Society1 Feb 2020 → …
Web Editor-in-Chief, IEEE Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics, and Frequency Control Society1 Feb 2020 → …
Associate Editor-in-Chief, Editorial Board of the IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics and Frequency Control1 Jan 2020 → …
Treasurer, Institute of Physics, Physical Acoustics Group1 Sep 2018 → …
Associate Editor, Editorial Board of the IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics and Frequency Control1 Jun 2017 → …
- ultrasound, imaging, microbubbles, elastography, tissue mechanics
- tissue biomechanics
- drug delivery
1/10/20 → 1/04/24
Project: Research Studentship - Internally Allocated
Mulvana, H. & Gauchotte Lindsay, C., 9 Feb 2021, In: Nature Index. 4 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article
Ultrasound mediated delivery of quantum dots from a proof of concept capsule endoscope to the gastrointestinal wallStewart, F., Cummins, G., Turcanu, M. V., Cox, B. F., Prescott, A., Clutton, E., Newton, I. P., Desmulliez, M. P. Y., Thanou, M., Mulvana, H., Cochran, S. & Näthke, I., 28 Jan 2021, In: Scientific Reports. 11, 14 p., 2584.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile4 Downloads (Pure)
Improving lymph node characterisation and detection in rectal cancer using contrast enhanced magneto-motive ultrasound
Sandra Sjosstrand (Speaker) & Helen Elizabeth Mulvana (Contributor)19 Aug 2020
Activity: Talk or presentation types › Oral presentation