Projects per year
I am a Reader in the Department of Electronic and Electrical Engineering. I re-joined the University in 2011 and in 2016 I was awarded a prestigious Chancellor’s Fellow award to conduct fundamental and industrial research in Sensors and Asset Management. My current activities focus on the area of applied Artificial Intelligence. My research projects span a wide range of applications and industrial sectors such as:
- Subsea and Overhead Line Inspection
- Precision Agriculture and Animal Health Monitoring
- Aerospace and Pharmaceutical Manufacturing
- Diver Monitoring
- Asset Analytics Automation
- Early diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD)
I am one of the coordinators for the “System for Data-Based Decisions” sub-theme of the Measurement Science and Enabling Technologies (MSET) Strategic Theme.
I am currently accepting PhD applicants and I would be interested in supervising projects that align with my research interests in a variety of applications. If you are interested in discussing an application, please contact me by email and send me an outline of your proposed research topic.
Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence:
- Feature Extraction and Selection
- Anomaly Detection and Event Classification
- Deep Learning Video and Image Analytics
- Data Visualisation
Expertise & Capabilities
- Communication Networks
- Edge and Cloud Computing Analytics
- Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence
- Computer Vision
- Embedded Programming
Currently teaching two classes:
- EE273, EE985 - Engineering Design For Software Development 2: Object oriented programming using C++
- DM996 - Intelligent Sensing, Reasoning And Deep Learning
Modules taught in the past:
- EE579 Advanced Microcontroller Applications - fifth year microcontrollers class using MSP430 in Assembly and C.
- EE987 - Sensor technologies
Academic / Professional qualifications
- PhD in Electronic and Electrical Engineering - University of Strathlcyde, 2008
- MSC in Communications Control and Digital Signal Processing, University of Strathlcyde, 2002
- BEng (Hons) in Communication Systems Engineering - University of Portsmouth, 2001
- Member of the IET and Senior Member IEEE
Expertise related to UN Sustainable Development Goals
In 2015, UN member states agreed to 17 global Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure prosperity for all. This person’s work contributes towards the following SDG(s):
- 1 Similar Profiles
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
11/02/22 → 10/02/23
Czerkawski, M., Upadhyay, P., Davison, C., Werkmeister, A., Cardona, J., Atkinson, R., Michie, C., Andonovic, I., Macdonald, M. & Tachtatzis, C., 10 Mar 2022, In: Remote Sensing. 14, 6, 18 p., 1342.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile17 Downloads (Pure)
McKechnie, D., Moreno, I., Tachtatzis, C., Nordon, A., Lue, L. & Cardona, J., 21 Sep 2022, p. 75 [B.02]. 1 p.
Research output: Contribution to conference › Poster › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile1 Downloads (Pure)
Data for: "Composite Laminate Delamination Detection Using Transient Thermal Conduction Profiles and Machine Learning Based Data Analysis"
Prize: Other distinction
Christos Tachtatzis (External Examiner) & Md Moinul Hossain (Examiner)7 Dec 2020
Activity: Examination types › Examination