Projects per year
I am a Reader in the Department of Electronic and Electrical Engineering. I re-joined the University in 2011 and in 2016 I was awarded a prestigious Chancellor’s Fellow award. I became a Senior Lecturer in 2018 and Reader in 2021. My current activities focus on the area of Artificial Intelligence. My research projects span a wide range of applications and industrial sectors such as:
- Precision Agriculture and Animal Health Monitoring
- Advanced Manufacturing
- Early diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD)
I am one of the coordinators for the “System for Data-Based Decisions” sub-theme of the Measurement Science and Enabling Technologies (MSET) Strategic Theme.
I am currently accepting PhD applicants and I would be interested in supervising projects that align with my research interests in a variety of applications. If you are interested in discussing an application, please contact me by email and send me an outline of your proposed research topic.
Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence:
- Deep Learning Video and Image Analytics
- Data Visualisation
- Feature Extraction and Selection
- Anomaly Detection and Event Classification
Expertise & Capabilities
- Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence
- Computer Vision
- Edge and Cloud Computing Analytics
- Embedded Programming
- Edge and Cloud Computing Analytics
Currently teaching two classes:
- EE273, EE985 - Engineering Design For Software Development 2: Object oriented programming using C++
- DM996 - Intelligent Sensing, Reasoning And Deep Learning
Modules taught in the past:
- EE579 Advanced Microcontroller Applications - fifth year microcontrollers class using MSP430 in Assembly and C.
- EE987 - Sensor technologies
Academic / Professional qualifications
- PhD in Electronic and Electrical Engineering - University of Strathlcyde, 2008
- MSC in Communications Control and Digital Signal Processing, University of Strathlcyde, 2002
- BEng (Hons) in Communication Systems Engineering - University of Portsmouth, 2001
- Member of the IET and Senior Member IEEE
Expertise related to UN Sustainable Development Goals
In 2015, UN member states agreed to 17 global Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure prosperity for all. This person’s work contributes towards the following SDG(s):
- 1 Similar Profiles
Collaborations and top research areas from the last five years
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
1/07/23 → 31/12/24
Czerkawski, M., Upadhyay, P., Davison, C., Werkmeister, A., Cardona, J., Atkinson, R., Michie, C., Andonovic, I., Macdonald, M. & Tachtatzis, C., 10 Mar 2022, In: Remote Sensing. 14, 6, 18 p., 1342.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile
Iorkyase, E. T., Tachtatzis, C. & Atkinson, R., 11 Sept 2023, In: Energies. 16, 18, 16 p., 6532.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile13 Downloads (Pure)
Data for: "Fusion of laser diffraction and chord length distribution data for estimation of particle size distribution using multi-objective optimisation"
Agimelen, O. S. (Creator), Ferreira, C. S. (Data Collector), Ahmed, B. (Data Collector), Cardona Amengual, J. (Data Collector), Chen, Y. (Contributor), Tachtatzis, C. (Contributor), Florence, A. (Contributor), Andonovic, I. (Contributor), Sefcik, J. (Contributor) & Mulholland, A. (Contributor), University of Strathclyde, 13 Sept 2018
Prize: Other distinction
DATALAB (SFC Innovation Centre, administered by the University of Edinburgh) (External organisation)
Christos Tachtatzis (Advisor)1 May 2023 → 31 Mar 2024
Activity: Membership types › Membership of board