Projects per year
I am a Senior Lecturer in the Department of Electronic and Electrical Engineering. I re-joined the University in 2011 and in 2016 I was awarded a prestigious Chancellor’s Fellow award to conduct fundamental and industrial research in Sensors and Asset Management. My current activities focus on Internet of Things and Data Analytics technologies. My research projects span a wide range of applications and industrial sectors such as:
- Subsea and Overhead Line Inspection
- Aerospace and Pharmaceutical Manufacturing
- Diver Monitoring
- Asset Analytics Automation
- Partial Discharge Detection in the Power Substations
- Precision Agriculture and Animal Health Monitoring
- Early diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD)
I am one of the co-ordinators for the “System for Data-Based Decisions” sub-theme of the Measurement Science and Enabling Technologies (MSET) Strategic Theme.
I am currently accepting PhD applicants and I would be interested in supervising projects that align with by research interests in variety of applications. If you are interested in discussing an application, please contact me by email and send me an outline of your proposed research topic.
Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence:
- Feature Extraction and Selection
- Anomaly Detection and Event Classification
- Deep Learning Video and Image Analytics
- Data Visualisation
- Internet of Things
- Wireless and Wired Communication Protocols
- Cloud and Edge Computing
- Ultra Low Power ‘Things’
- GPU Intrusion Detection Systems
Expertise & Capabilities
- Communication Networks
- Edge and Cloud Computing Analytics
- Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence
- Computer Vision
- Embedded Programming
Currently teaching two classes:
- EE273, EE985 - Engineering Design For Software Development 2: Object oriented programming using C++
- EE987 - Sensor technologies
Modules taught in the past:
- EE579 Advanced Microcontroller Applications - fifth year microcontrollers class using MSP430 in Assembly and C.
Academic / Professional qualifications
- PhD in Electronic and Electrical Engineering - University of Strathlcyde, 2008
- MSC in Communications Control and Digital Signal Processing, University of Strathlcyde, 2002
- BEng (Hons) in Communication Systems Engineering - University of Portsmouth, 2001
- Member of the IET and Senior Member IEEE
Tachtatzis, C., Atkinson, R. & Bellekens, X., 4 Jun 2020, In : IEEE Access. 8, p. 104650-104675 26 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen AccessFile3 Citations (Scopus)40 Downloads (Pure)
Stamoulakatos, A., Cardona, J., McCaig, C., Murray, D., Filius, H., Atkinson, R., Bellekens, X., Michie, C., Andonovic, I., Lazaridis, P., Hamilton, A., Hossain, M. M., Di Caterina, G. & Tachtatzis, C., 26 Jan 2020, In : Sensors. 20, 3, 15 p., 674.
Research output: Contribution to journal › ArticleOpen AccessFile53 Downloads (Pure)
Data for:"Non-destructive Identification of Fibre Orientation in Multi-ply Biaxial Laminates Using Contact Temperature Sensors"
Data for: "Fusion of laser diffraction and chord length distribution data for estimation of particle size distribution using multi-objective optimisation"
Agimelen, O. S. (Creator), Ferreira, C. S. (Data Collector), Ahmed, B. (Data Collector), Cardona Amengual, J. (Data Collector), Chen, Y. (Contributor), Tachtatzis, C. (Contributor), Florence, A. (Contributor), Andonovic, I. (Contributor), Sefcik, J. (Contributor) & Mulholland, A. (Contributor), University of Strathclyde, 13 Sep 2018
Christos Tachtatzis (Chair)14 Sep 2020
Activity: Participating in or organising an event types › Organiser of major conference