Projects per year
My main role is Course Leader for the BSc Sport and Physical Activity degree. I am responsible for managing the timetable, all academic issues and for course admissions. I am also year coordinator for the Third Year of the degree.
I am class leader for B1123 Culture and Context, B1221 Coaching and Sport Development, B1313 Placement and Professional Development, B1479 Research Project and B1408 Practical Project in Sport and Physical Activity Development. I also contribute to B1405 Dissertation.
As Head of School, I am
I am involved in a range of research projects, mostly involving mobile technology as applied to the field of physical activity.
I maintain my interests in Music Psychology and Music Education through my positions as Assistant Editor of the journal Psychology of Music and as Associate Editor of the journal Music, Technology and Education.
My research explores the use of technology and music within physical activity and exercise, including:
- sensorimotor synchronisation with music, in particular synchronising walking cadence (in collaboration with Perception and Action lab)
- the use of mobile music to promote increased intensity and duration of physical activity
- the use of ubiquitous mobile devices for activity monitoring, in particular the use of mobile accelerometry
- design of user interfaces for mobile applications in physical activity (in collaboration with Mobiquitous Lab)
- the use of mobile devices and web technologies in large-scale physical activity interventions
Expertise & Capabilities
Analysis of accelerometer data
Relationships between economic and social deprivation and educational attainment
Doctor of Philosophy, University of Strathclyde
Award Date: 1 Jan 2002
Bachelor of Education, University of Glasgow
Award Date: 1 Jan 1993
Integrating technology for promoting active lifestyles and blood glucose control for individuals with diabetes
Project: Research - Studentship
1/11/10 → 31/12/11
Project: Internally funded project
Differences in educational attainment between obese and non-obese Kuwaiti female university studentsAl Hammadi, H. H., Alaslawi, H. A., Hewitt, A. & Reilly, J. J., 24 Jul 2020, In: Journal of Nutritional Science. 9, 5 p., e30.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile4 Downloads (Pure)
Exploring the experience of, and attitudes towards, mobile technology to support active lifestyles in adults with type 2 diabetesMcMillan, KA., Kirk, A., Hewitt, A., Gibson, AM., Paing, AC., MacRury, S. & Chastin, SFM., 30 Sep 2020, In: Diabetic Medicine. 37, S1, p. 91-91 1 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Conference Contribution › peer-review