Projects per year
My research and teaching focus on services marketing, corporate branding and reputation, digital marketing, customer experience management and marketing research.
Before joining the Department, I was a senior consultant within a London-based marketing consultancy practice and prior to that an Associate Director of a leading London-based marketing research agency. Whilst at Strathclyde, I have been a Vice Dean of the Strathclyde Business School and have also served as Head of the Department of Marketing during the periods 2007-2010 and 2013-2014. Since then I have had responsibilities for our Doctoral Programme, our Executive Masters in Hospitality and Tourism Leadership Programme, the Department's research activities as well as our Business & Community Engagement. I was a Visiting Professor of Services Marketing at Ecole Hoteliere Lausanne, Switzerland from 2010 to 2019.
I was Board Director and Chairman of Culture Republic (an arts marketing and audience development agency, whose aim was to improve accessibility to arts and cultural events in Scotland). I currently serve as a trustee on the board of the Royal Scottish Geographical Society. I also act as a marketing and marketing research advisor and trainer for a number of Scottish and UK based organisations.
I have been invited to deliver lectures and seminars throughout the world in countries such as Pakistan, Poland, Australia, Portugal, Spain, Malaysia, Singapore, France, Italy, Romania, Dubai, Switzerland, Japan, South Africa and the USA.
My research interests relate to the linkages between corporate culture, performance measurement, service delivery personnel, digital marketing and customer experience. In particular the critical role that both actual and virtual service delivery has in the development of corporate reputation, service branding, customer experience management and the levels of customer satisfaction and the differentiation of a service organisation.
I am also involved in research relating to the role and application of marketing research which has resulted in my textbook Marketing Research: Delivering Customer Insight, 4th Edition. In addition, I am co-author of: Services Marketing: Integrating Customer Focus Across the Firm (4th European Edition), written with Valarie Zeithaml, Mary Jo Bitner and Dwayne Gremler.
I have been a member of a number of Editorial Boards and Editorial Advisory Boards of business and marketing academic journals. I was also the Academic Programme Director for the European Marketing Academy Conference in 2003 and Services Track Chair in 2018.
Doctoral Students Supervised and Graduated
- Alame, F. Exploring Leaders' Strategies for Managing Negative Emotions of Sales People
- Barhorst, J. Reputation Interupted: Microblog eWOM Brand Image Disruptions in a Shareworthy World
- Brodbeck, H. A New Model of Living the Brand: The Emergence and Impact of Brand Value Aligned Behaviour in Social Banks
- Caemmerer, B. The Management of Customer Feedback in the Development of Service Orientation in the Public Sector
- Dammann, S. Willingness to Pay for Customised Solutions in a B2B Environment
- Frimpong, K. Relative Contribution of Satisfaction Dimensions to Employee Service Orientation
- Goddard, T. An Investigation of Antecedents to Social Media Engagement Behaviours
- Gotsi, D. Corporate Brand Reputation Management: An Intraorganisational Study on the Role of Service Employees and On-brand Corporate Culture
- Grougiou, V. The Grey Market and the Service Encounter: An Investigation of Satisfiers, Dissatisfiers and Complaining Behaviour
- Katsaridou, I. Customers' Behavioural Contribution to the Service Encounter
- McLean, G. Examining the Online Customer Experience during a Utilitarian Search for Online Business Advisory Information and Services
- Mawson, S. High Growth Firms in Scotland: Customer Perceived Value Creation and Rapid Firm Growth
- Morrison, R. Drawing the Line: Understanding Privacy Concern, Privacy Literacy and Trust Influences on Online Social Network Privacy Boundaries
- Nayer, D. Transformative Impact of Platform-based Sharing Services in the Base of the Pyramid Segment
- Ney, J. Evaluating the Credibility of Online Customer Reviews During a Simulation of an Active Purchase Decision
- Osei-Frimpong K. An Examination of Value Co-creation at the Micro Level in a Healthcare Setting: a Dyadic Approach
- Punjaisri, K. Brand Promise Delivery from the Customer Interface Employees' Perspective
- Sagmanli, S. An Investigation of Consumer Engagement with Internet of Things in the Context of Smart Meter In-home Displays
- Stanovic, T. The Influence of Social eWoM Information on Attitude Formation for Aesthetic Products: The Case of Fine Art
I have acted as a marketing and marketing research advisor and trainer for a number of Scottish and international organisations including:
DHL, Standard Life, William Grant, Thales, Scottish and Southern Energy, Scottish Power, NHS, Honeywell, IBM, Motorola, Telekom Malaysia, Clydesdale Bank, Institute of Directors, CIPFA, MRS, CIM, and the Chartered Institute of Bankers in Scotland.
I lecture in the areas of services marketing, marketing research, marketing management and branding. I have also delivered executive programmes in customer experience management, marketing management, customer service, luxury branding, social media marketing and hospitality marketing.
Expertise & Capabilities
Expertise related to UN Sustainable Development Goals
In 2015, UN member states agreed to 17 global Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure prosperity for all. This person’s work contributes towards the following SDG(s):
Doctor of Philosophy, Marketing, University of Strathclyde
Award Date: 1 Jan 1996
Master of Business Administration, University of Edinburgh
Award Date: 1 Jan 1981
Bachelor of Science, Geography, University of Edinburgh
Award Date: 1 Jan 1980
- customer experience management
- Market Research
- Services Marketing
- Service Delivery
- Online Customer Reviews
- Marketing Information
- Service Quality
- Customer Satisfaction
- Mystery Shopping
- Corporate Reputation
- 1 Similar Profiles
Collaborations and top research areas from the last five years
Dive into details
Select a country/territory to view shared publications and projects
- 20 Finished
Nazifi, A. & Wilson, A.
10/02/20 → 4/10/22
11/08/18 → 11/08/18
Project: Knowledge Exchange (Services/Consultancy)
Shirahada, K. & Wilson, A., 29 Dec 2022, (E-pub ahead of print) In: Journal of Service Theory and Practice. 46 p.
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile4 Downloads (Pure)
Service interactions in platform-based sharing services and social transformation of the base of the pyramid segmentNayer, D., Wilson, A. & Nazifi, A., 18 Nov 2022. 4 p.
Research output: Contribution to conference › Abstract › peer-reviewOpen AccessFile4 Downloads (Pure)
Brannon Barhorst, Jennifer (Recipient) & Wilson, Alan (Recipient), 22 Mar 2017
Prize: Prize (including medals and awards)