Projects per year
My research and teaching focus on services marketing, corporate branding and reputation, digital marketing, customer experience management and marketing research.
Before joining the Department, I was a senior consultant within a London-based marketing consultancy practice and prior to that an Associate Director of a leading London-based marketing research agency. Whilst at Strathclyde, I have been a Vice Dean of the Strathclyde Business School and have also served as Head of the Department of Marketing during the periods 2007-2010 and 2013-2014. Since then I have had responsibilities for our Doctoral Programme, our Executive Masters in Hospitality and Tourism Leadership Programme and our Business & Community Engagement activities. I am currently Director of Research for the Department and a Visiting Professor of Services Marketing at Ecole Hoteliere Lausanne, Switzerland.
I was Board Director and Chairman of Culture Republic (an arts marketing and audience development agency, whose aim was to improve accessibility to arts and cultural events in Scotland). I also act as a marketing and marketing research advisor and trainer for a number of Scottish and UK based organisations.
I have been invited to deliver lectures and seminars throughout the world in countries such as Pakistan, Poland, Australia, Portugal, Spain, Malaysia, Singapore, France, Italy, Romania, Dubai, Switzerland, Japan, South Africa and the USA.
My research interests relate to the linkages between corporate culture, performance measurement, service delivery personnel, digital marketing and customer experience. In particular the critical role that both actual and virtual service delivery has in the development of corporate reputation, service branding, customer experience management and the levels of customer satisfaction and the differentiation of a service organisation.
I am also involved in research relating to the role and application of marketing research which has resulted in my textbook Marketing Research: Delivering Customer Insight, 4th Edition. In addition, I am co-author of: Services Marketing: Integrating Customer Focus Across the Firm (3rd European Edition), written with Valarie Zeithaml, Mary Jo Bitner and Dwayne Gremler.
I am a member of the Executive Editorial Board of the International Journal of Market Research and I am the journal's book review editor. I am also a member of the Editorial Advisory Boards for the Journal of Marketing Management, Corporate Communications: An International Journal and the Journal of Brand Management. I was also the Academic Programme Director for the European Marketing Academy Conference in 2003 and Services Track Chair in 2018.
Doctoral Students Supervised and Graduated
- Alame, F. Exploring Leaders' Strategies for Managing Negative Emotions of Sales People
- Barhorst, J. Reputation Interupted: Microblog eWOM Brand Image Disruptions in a Shareworthy World
- Brodbeck, H. A New Model of Living the Brand: The Emergence and Impact of Brand Value Aligned Behaviour in Social Banks
- Caemmerer, B. The Management of Customer Feedback in the Development of Service Orientation in the Public Sector
- Dammann, S. Willingness to Pay for Customised Solutions in a B2B Environment
- Frimpong, K. Relative Contribution of Satisfaction Dimensions to Employee Service Orientation
- Gotsi, D. Corporate Brand Reputation Management: An Intraorganisational Study on the Role of Service Employees and On-brand Corporate Culture
- Grougiou, V. The Grey Market and the Service Encounter: An Investigation of Satisfiers, Dissatisfiers and Complaining Behaviour
- Katsaridou, I. Customers' Behavioural Contribution to the Service Encounter
- McLean, G. Examining the Online Customer Experience during a Utilitarian Search for Online Business Advisory Information and Services
- Mawson, S. High Growth Firms in Scotland: Customer Perceived Value Creation and Rapid Firm Growth
- Morrison, R. Drawing the Line: Understanding Privacy Concern, Privacy Literacy and Trust Influences on Online Social Network Privacy Boundaries
- Ney, J. Evaluating the Credibility of Online Customer Reviews During a Simulation of an Active Purchase Decision
- Osei-Frimpong K. An Examination of Value Co-creation at the Micro Level in a Healthcare Setting: a Dyadic Approach
- Punjaisri, K. Brand Promise Delivery from the Customer Interface Employees' Perspective
- Stanovic, T. The Influence of Social eWoM Information on Attitude Formation for Aesthetic Products: The Case of Fine Art
I have acted as a marketing and marketing research advisor and trainer for a number of Scottish and international organisations including:
DHL, Standard Life, William Grant, Thales, Scottish and Southern Energy, Scottish Power, NHS, Honeywell, IBM, Motorola, Telekom Malaysia, Clydesdale Bank, Institute of Directors, CIPFA, MRS, CIM, and the Chartered Institute of Bankers in Scotland.
I lecture in the areas of services marketing, marketing research, marketing management and branding. I have also delivered executive programmes in customer experience management, marketing management, customer service, luxury branding, social media marketing and hospitality marketing.
Expertise & Capabilities
Doctor of Philosophy, University of Strathclyde
Master of Business Administration, University of Edinburgh
Bachelor of Science, University of Edinburgh
- customer experience management
- Market Research
- Services Marketing
- Service Delivery
- Online Customer Reviews
- Marketing Information
- Service Quality
- Customer Satisfaction
- Mystery Shopping
- Corporate Reputation
11/08/18 → 11/08/18
Project: Knowledge Exchange (Services/Consultancy) › Knowledge Exchange (Expert Witness)
Research Output per year
Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceeding › Chapter
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article
Supervisor: Wilson, A. (Supervisor)
Student thesis: Doctoral Thesis
Examining the online customer experience during a utilitarian search for online business advisory information and servicesAuthor: McLean, G., 1 Oct 2015
Student thesis: Doctoral Thesis
Prize: Prize (including medals and awards)
Activities per year
Activity: Talk or presentation › Invited talk